HYDE CHESHIRE

Harry Rutherford's
Festival of Britain Mural




Sunday 20 March 2011

The "Waterboard" Building.

The Waterboard building stands at the top of Lumn Road behind the Playgroup "Rainbow Corner". You can also see it from Mansfield Road. I don't know anything about it ,when it was built and for what purpose etc so if anyone out there has any information I would be very happy to hear it.
It has remained unchanged throughout my lifetime and has always been a secretive building....maybe this is because it was inaccessible.


Photobucket
The building as seen from Mansfield Road.

Photobucket
Seen from a birdseye view.
Lumn Road is to the left and Rainbow Corner playgroup is the white building in the bottom lefthand corner.


Photobucket

I took these January after seeing Gerald England post on it and thought it was an old pumping station but wasn't sure, so I decided to go and have a look what I could find. The gate off Lumn Road was open so I was able to get inside and take these two pictures...of the building.
           

Photobucket


I also took a shot of a notice by the side of the door you can see on the left-hand side of the building in the first photo. It's not very clear, but the notice reads:

               NORTH WEST WATER
  CHEMICAL AND FUEL DELIVERIES
ONLY ACCEPTED WHEN SUPERVISED
           BY A DESIGNATED N.W.W.
                        EMPLOYEE
Dave

7 comments:

Gerald (SK14) said...

Good to see the aerial view - I did a post about this in January http://hydedailyphoto.blogspot.com/2011/01/behind-barbed-wire.html

Dave confirmed it is/was a pumping station.

Hydonian said...

Thanks for that, Gerald.
I've lived in Hyde all my life and walked past it every day for years on my way to Infant /Junior school but never knew anything about it.

Tom said...

I've got a bit of info on Hyde Water Board Nancy... not sure if it mention this directly .. but the story of Hyde's water is quite interesting... I'll knock a post up as soon as possible.

Tom said...

Nice update of the last 2 photos from Dave and his trusty camera... ;o)

Hydonian said...

Excellent photos ,Dave - I was scared of going in the yard in case I got done.. haha....

Anonymous said...

It is still a working pump station which was built in the late 1800's. There is a commemorative stone inside which I will take a picture of and upload it next week.

Tom said...

Anon: thank you for the information.. I look forward to seeing any pictures of this building you can send in..