Hyde Name Origins.

The name "HYDE" is derived from the hide, a measure of land for taxation purposes, taken to be that area of land necessary to support a peasant family. In later times it was taken to be equivalent to 120 acres .
March 2014
BLOG still being updated, please keep commenting as it all goes to making a good read and helps to build an archive.


Tuesday, 17 August 2010

Hyde in War Time (1914-16) Page22

HYDE RIFLE CLUB - MEMBERS AT DRILL.

Photobucket


Front row: Messrs. I. Slater, F. Beard A. Bancroft, J. Wilson, J. Cross, W. Stopford, B. Davenport,
At back: Messrs. J. H. Hamer, C, Lisle, J. Handforth, H. Starkie, A. E. Searle, T. Dean, R. Broadbent, R. Brownson, G. T. Gore, H. Wilde, R. Whistlecroft, R. Lodge, H. Hadley J. Smith, F. Whalley, J. Grundy, A. Hall, W, Schofield, J. S. Jackson, H. Williams, H. Dawson , J. W. Lord,. Standing in the rear: Mr. T. Victor, Commander of the Drill Section.
Photographed at the Headquarters, Greenfield Mill. Photo by A. E. Searle, Hyde.

After the local Reservists and Territorials had left the town recruiting for Kitchener’s Army proceeded with briskness. There also arose several Training Corps, which did good work prior to the formation of the Hyde Volunteer Corps, which absorbed the older organisations. The Rifle Club came into being in 1914, with a membership of 75, which rapidly increased till it reached a total of over 300. The Old Greenfield Mill had been kindly placed at the disposal of the members, and here, on the ground floor, gathered an enthusiastic body townsmen who, energetically drilled under Mr. T. Victor, whilst the first floor was utilised as a miniature rifle range on which good rifle practice was obtained. The officials were: President, Lieut. Dr J. A. Watts, Chairman Mr. R. E. Jones, M.A., Secretaries, Messrs. B. Davenport and F. Beard, and Treasurer, Mr. Geo. F. Higham. The club was disbanded after the Annual Meeting, on September 30th 1915.

No comments: