HYDE CHESHIRE

Harry Rutherford's
Festival of Britain Mural




Wednesday 11 August 2010

The Queens, Clarendon Place


Not Changed much at all


The Queens always seems to have steady trade... and at times as been one of the more popular pubs in the town centre. It is alas forever linked to the Moors Murders.. In 1965 Superintendent Bob Talbot of the Cheshire Police used the pub as a base for all the officers when the search of the moors was taking place. I think I'm right in saying that some policeman were housed here in a make shift dorm in the function room. The pub was used as the police station as the town hall was not big enough to hold all the staff the investigation needed.

The Queens was at one time a coaching house.... there were provisions at the back for horses... and it was only recently the saddle hooks and feeding baskets were removed when alteration were done. I know they were there in the 1980s when Brian & Joyce Hunter were the landlord and lady. I worked on the door here for a while... which was fun... and I also did the bar for 2 other owners... but for me when I see or hear the Queens mentioned I am reminded of the fun and laughter shared with good friends when Brian and Joyce were the hosts...

7 comments:

Tom said...

I was reminded yestoday of the good time shared here when I saw an old lady shuffling across the market... for many years a couple worked at the Queens called Ronnie and Stella.. Ronnie a small thin baldy chap, who only ever drank halfs... but lots of them, worked the bar and would collect glasses.. he was quite a character.. more so when the amount of "half pints" started to kick him... more than once he would need rescuing for starting arguments and "puffing" his chest out at folk. You either loved him or hated him and sometimes the feels could charge by the hour.. ha! alas old Ronnie died a while back now. His wife Stella was a lovely lady... how she put up with Ronnie I'll never know.. she was a bit of a dark horse, very quiet, and a look as if butter wouldn't melt her mouth.. yet at times she clip Ronnie around the head and call him a few choice names... I also recall her over-hearing a rude joke told at the bar one night.... and how she laughed... maybe the joke bought back memories I don't know.. but she chuckled all night. Stella is very bad on her feet.. needing a frame thing to walk about with.. yet she can be seen shopping almost daily around Hyde... she as got to be in her late 80s early 90s now...

Manchester Lass, Now and Then said...

I love seeing before and after photos♥ Great stories and memories. I worked across the road from the Queens in the very early 80's and while stood at the copying machine would glance across at the Queens. I think I only ever went in once, maybe twice:( Tried to book the Queens for my wedding reception back in 1973 but it was booked out so had to settle for the Grapes at Gee Cross. Have I told you later that I love your blog Nancy and Tom...... of course I have:)

Tom said...

Cheers Linda you comments are always nice to get...

Rose said...

I would love to see some inside shots...this is a beautiful old building.

Hope things are going well for you...hows that grandson doing?

Tom said...

Hi Rose
Alas the inside as change completly, small cosy rooms with their own fire places have all gone and the rooms knocked into one big one.. this is the way many have gone. I can understand it to so extent though it is such a shame... I am just so glad the outside is the same... if only our town planners of the past had used this idea many many years ago.. and combined old with the new in a way that kept the buildings character and looks but allowed for inner improvements. Hyde as lost so many unique looking buildings in the past... what are left really need looking after now.

Lew said...

Delightful series of posts on the old pubs! The Queens "cleaned up nicely" for its current customers, even though the inside has changed.

Ex Hydeonian said...

Never really went in the Queens much. The ocassional beer on the way into Hyde. Still have many fond memories of it though.